Arrow
Arrow
Shadow
Slider

NATIONAL LIBRARY, KRUŠEVAC

The library is located in the town center, opposite the monument to Kosovo heroes. It occupies the mezzanine and the first floor of the Business Center building. Youth Corner, a separated unit of the library, is placed in Dušanova Street, opposite Pionirski Park.

The general collection includes over 157000 books and about 300 titles of serial publications - magazines and newspapers. It also has books in Russian, French and English, diverse indigenous non-print materials (photographs, postcards, posters ...), and a permanent access to electronic resources.

In order to promote books and reading, the library organizes various cultural programs adapted to different age groups and educational attainment.

It also publishes works that promote homeland and local cultural values. Its newsletter is the newspaper Savremena biblioteka.

National Library of Kruševac is in charge of the libraries in: Aleksandrovac, Brus, Varvarin, Ćićevac, Trstenik and Kruševac.

NATIONAL MUSEUM IN KRUŠEVAC

Inside the medieval town of Kruševac, near the court church Lazarica, among the remains of prince's palace and guard towers, in the old building of the former Grammar School from 1863, a museum exhibition that testifies of historical and cultural development and transformation of Kruševac has found its place. The permanent exhibition consists of almost fifteen hundred showpieces the history of which dates back over six millennia-from prehistory through the classical period and the Middle Ages, the period of the Ottoman occupation and renewal of Serbian statehood to the first decades of the twentieth century. Prehistoric gold earrings, an enviable collection of medieval weapons and pottery, a copy of prince Lazar's garment, a rich ethnographic collection, Binički family legacy and Meštrović's Vidovdan Temple Model are just some of the pieces of the permanent exhibition which has a historical and cultural significance worthy of the attention of our visitors.


ART GALLERY
Art gallery has worked since 1962, and it is a branch of the National museum of Kruševac. Located in the pedestrian zone, in Ljotić family house - built at the beginning of the twentieth century, this gallery monitors and promotes contemporary art trends, giving special attention to creativity of local artists. It has been an essential factor of cultural life of Kruševac for decades.

Gallery of Milić of Mačva
Milić Stanković was an academy-trained painter from Belgrade, born in Mačva, and one of the most prominent painters in modern Serbian painting. At the end of 2000, he donated to the town of Kruševac a legacy of over 120 paintings from Serbian history, from Stefan Nemanja to modern age, emphasizing the Kosovo battle in 1389. and Kruševac from the Middle age.


KRUŠEVAC THEATRE
The professional theatre in Kruševac, named the National Theatre Kruševac, was officially founded in 1946.
During its first phase, the National theatre in Kruševac worked on professionalization of theatre act and academization of theatrical style in the positive context. The repertoire included classical domestic authors and several Russian, Soviet dramatists.
In the second phase, the National theatre in Kruševac performs contemporary European and domestic plays, with special success in Dostoyevsky dramatization. In 1969. it becomes Kruševac Theatre.
The third phase, from 1986 to this day, is marked by artistic determination for change and spiralling. Both Serbian and foreign plays are cultivated, as well as children plays. Kruševac Theatre is one of the most active theatres in Serbia, with over 250 programmes a year either under its patronage or production.


THE SIMIĆ HOUSE
Another museum in the very centre of the town is the Simić house, a building of unique cultural and historical value which combines a museum collection, a museum tourist information point, as well as a gift shop. The building itself represents former lodgings of bey family Vrenčević, which Duke Miloš later presented to his godson Stojan Simić, one of the most imposing personas of Serbian history from the 19th century. Visitors can partake in an attractive exhibits setting from ethnographic collection of the National museum Kruševac, which is devised so as to bring the ambience of a civil household on the crossing from the 19th to the 20th century closer to modern generations.


Monastery of the Intercession of the Theotokos
Monastery of the Intercession of the Theotokos is situated in the village of Đunis, 18 km east from Kruševac. The church was built at the end of the 19th century, after the Holy Mother of God appeared to a sick girl. The initial modest place of worship was demolished and restored several times. The new church was built in the period from 1977 to 1982. Richly picturesque, with a modern spring and a garden, this monastery is one of the most visited in this area.


Saint Roman Monastery
Although there are no reliable data as to when this monastery was built, it is assumed that it originated in the time of Prince Lazar, on the remains of the church from the 9th century. The monastery got its name after monk Roman Sinait who lived there and whose grave with relics is to this day found in the monastery. The monastery is also known by its port, where the heart of famous Russian aristocrat Nikolai Nikolaevich Raevsky is buried. Nikolai served as an inspiration for the character of Vronsky to the famous Russian writer Lav Tolstoy in his novel "Ana Karenina".


Art gallery
Art gallery is today situated in the building of the family house of Ljotić, a famous merchant from Kruševac, which was built in the 1920s. The gallery was founded in 1961 in the scope of the National museum and it is still in the museum’s jurisdiction. Architecture and interior organization relates to the artistic taste of the richest class of people in Kruševac between the two World wars. The facade facing the street is amply decorated with ornaments and arabesques with floral and geometric motifs.
The roof part is dominated by a relief of a sitting boy in antique style. The variety of decorative motifs on the façade makes the building of the Art gallery the most attractive example of such illustrations. Adapted to the needs of gallery exhibitions, with the exhibition area of about 100 square meters, Art gallery represents an adequate space where exhibitions are occasionally organized.


Naupara Monastery
It is situated in the village of the same name, 15 km south from Kruševac. The monastery originates from the 14th century. According to a legend, the church was built by despot Stefan. During the construction of Lazarica, Stefan took aside the best stones for his church. When Lazar saw how beautiful the church was when completed, he shouted – What you thought of (Serbian NA UM PADE). Another legend speaks of burying the treasury of Prince Lazar in this place before going to the Kosovo field. He then said: "Those who come back from Kosovo should bear in mind the money we buried here (Serbian NA UM PARE)". Hence the name of Naupara. The biggest artistic value of the monastery of Naupara are the two rosettes on the west facade which are among the most beautiful creations of Moravian school.


Monument to peace
This one of a kind monument to the idea of peace was set in Kruševac on Gazimestanski square in 1997. The monument to a certain degree represents the crown of peacemaking actions which are carried out by peace clubs in Kruševac, set up on the initiative of professor Pavle Bubanja. Thanks to these activities, Kruševac was accepted as a member of a group of over 80 world cities called "Heralds of peace". As an appreciation for the results in this field, Kruševac was awarded twice: with the Medal of peace in 1986 and the Medal of herald of peace in 1990.


Monument to the warriors 1912-1918
Monument to the warriors and the people of Kruševac area killed in liberation wars of Serbia from 1912 to 1918 is set on the "Fountain" square on the festival of Saint Vitus in 1993. The foundation stone was set on the 1st December 1988, on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of Salonika front. The monument, work of Dragan Dimitrijević, an academy-trained sculptor from Belgrade, is cast in bronze. Conceived in the shape of a unique square form, with the images of both known and unknown soldiers and field marshals, the Monument is a testimony of a certain time and significant figures of Serbian history from the beginning of the 20th century.


SAINT GEORGE CHURCH
The church of Saint George was built in 1904 on the place of an old modest church from 1838. The project was done by the architect Dušan Živanović in Serbian-Byzantian style. The polychrome facade solution is given modelled on the architecture of Moravian school. Basic architectural features are: Greek cross with five domes, the main of which dominates the centre of the church, while the other four are visible only from the inside of the temple, because they are located below the deck.


Gallery of Milić of Mačva
Milić Stanković was an academy-trained painter from Belgrade, born in Mačva, and one of the most prominent painters in modern Serbian painting. At the end of 2000, he donated to the town of Kruševac a legacy of over 120 paintings from Serbian history, from Stefan Nemanja to modern age, emphasizing the Kosovo battle in 1389 and Kruševac from the Middle age.
The Simić house is one of the oldest buildings in Kruševac. Although there are no reliable data on the exact time of its origination, its stylistic features make us assume that it was built at the very end of the 18th or the beginning of the 19th century, but in any case before 1833, before Kruševac was freed from the Turks. Apart from its architectural values, it is also important for the cultural history of the town. It is deemed to have firstly been owned by Turkish beys Frenčević brothers, and then by Stojan Simić, the first elder of the newly freed town. Stojan obtained it from his godfather Miloš Obrenović.


Sculpture "Mother Serbia and Mother Greece"
Twinning of the towns of Kruševac and Corfu in 1985, especially after World War I, is related to traditional friendship between Serbia and Greece, got its symbolical and a artistic embodiment in the sculpture "Mother Serbia and Mother Greece". The author is the renowned painter Milić of Mačva, this being his only sculptural work. The figures of two mothers who symbolize the friendship between two people after Albanian suffering when Greece is helping weary Serbia and recovering her army on Corfu are carved in the white marble monolith from the mountain of Venčac. The sculpture was unveiled on Saint Vitus in 1999 on Rasina square or Kosturnica (Ossuary), which is another name for the square (after an underground ossuary with the remains of 40 Rasina partisans, which were moved to Partisan Mound on Slobodište, right after the forming of this memorial complex in 1965).


Mosaic Hall
The Mosaic Hall stands out for its beauty in an otherwise luxurious interior of the Town hall. As a central hall situated on the mezzanine of the Town hall, Mosaic hall represents a unique decorative unit in contemporary Serbian art, dedicated to Moravian Serbia. The cycle of mosaics entitled "In the glory of Kruševac", the work of artist Mladen Srbinović, emerged in three phases. In conceptual sense, inspired by historical factography, epic folk poetry, myths and folklore heritage, Srbinović reached for the elements of Serbian medieval painting from Moravian era, having been inspired by its monumentality, pronounced decorativeness and distinctive spirituality, translating them into the language of contemporary artistic symbols.
Wall painting "The Search for Lazar" is located in the lobby of the House of Unions in Kosovo heroes square spreading on 40 square metres. It is the work of a renowned painter Milić of Mačva. It was unveiled on 27th June in 1971 to celebrate "Six centuries of the town of Kruševac". Done in "al seco" technique, this mural composition was inspired by the verses of folk song "The search for Prince Lazar’s head", which talks about the Prince’s suffering in Kosovo and his resurrection.
Memorial complex "Slobodište" lies on the southern outskirts of the town, near correctional institute which once was a German prison camp where the occupier executed several hundreds of patriots from Kruševac and the surrounding area during World War II. In architecture and its philosophical message, Slobodište represents an exquisite monumental complex in our country, dedicated to freedom and revolution. The central part of the monument belongs to the concept which was realized by Bogdan Bogdanović after the idea of Dobrica Ćosić, in the period from 1960. to 1965.


Monument to Kosovo heroes
Monument to Kosovo heroes represents the symbol of Kruševac as well as the most monumental work of national sculpture from the beginning of the 20th century. It is the work of renowned Serbian sculptor Đorđe Jovanović. It was unveiled for Saint Vitus in 1904 in the presence of Peter the First Karađorđević to celebrate centenary of the First Serbian uprising. Jovanović was awarded Golden medal of the First order in 1900 for the exhibited sculptural elements in World exhibition in Paris.


Bela Voda
The geographic position of Bela Voda is extremely favourable. It is situated in the central part of Serbia on southern slopes of Šumadija between the branches of Gledićke mountains and the river of Zapadna Morava. It is 14 km away from Kruševac south-west, 20 km from the town of Trstenik east, 35 km from the highway Belgrade-Niš, 205 km south from Belgrade. The village was named Bela Voda (White Water) after the former spring which broke out in white foamy jets in the area of today’s Sculpture Park. Bela Voda is renowned for its natural resources, especially Bela Voda sandstone – a stone which has been exploited for six centuries, and then by springs of mineral waters. Thanks to numerous quarries rich in quality stone, Bela Voda has been for centuries the capital of stone craft art and craftsmanship of Moravian Serbia. The fact that two shareholding companies from Belgrade exploited the stone between the two World Wars and the Ministry of trade and industry opened Masonry-stonework school twice to educate builders and stone crafters says enough about significant exploitation of Bela Voda quarries. In 1954 an industrial railway line was built to Bela Voda quarries.


Museum of stone craft and sculpture
The museum was open for visitors on July 18th 2009 with the blessing of bishop niški Irinej and Montenegrin archbishop Amfilohije. Apart from numerous sculptural exhibits, the Museum shows the photographs of rosettes made from Bela Voda sandstone on the church of Saint Lazar in Birmingham which was built in 1967, the photograph of Saint Mark’s church in Belgrade, also made from Bela Voda sandstone, as well as a scale of natural colours of the stone.


Sculpture Park
Sculpture Park implies the area of amphitheatre which was built in 1987 in accord with the project of a renowned architect Predrag Vertovšek from Kruševac. The Park is shaped by sculptural details in 2001 during sculpture colony "Bela voda sandstone". In mid-July each year there is a famous cultural-artistic manifestation in the Sculpture Park “Belovodska rosette“, which gathers several thousands of visitors each year. Starting from 1988, as recognition of artistic, cultural and scientific contribution to Serbian culture, a stone rosette is awarded to meritorious individuals. The first winner of the stone rosette was Desanka Maksimović, then Matija Bećković, Kusturica, Montenegrin archbishop Amfilohije Radović to mention just a few of numerous winners of this prestigious award.


Great drinking-fountain
The Great drinking-fountain is located in the part of the amphitheatre. It was renovated in 1847 at the initiative of then ruler of Serbia– Alexander Karađorđević. According to a legend it was built by the Romans, although it was never precisely determined which period it dated from. However, the Great drinking-fountain has from its foundation been the centre of the village and a place for various gatherings, a participant and a witness to many events. It represents a stone house with a tiled roof, while there is a notched flat roof – gable in the north-east side. On the south-east wall there is a plaque with an inscription saying that the drinking-fountain was built during the reign of Prince Alexander Karađorđević with efforts from Bela Voda municipality and then prefect of Temnićki district. On the north-east part of the drinking-fountain there is a renovated stone plaque with embossed coat of arms of the Principality of Serbia from 1847, with a stone cross on the top. All its details are harmoniously fitted in a whole, so the full stylistic unity and the beauty of its architectural character are achieved. The south-east, south-west and north-west walls bear blind semicircular arches under which there are two pipes each. Out of those six pipes around 125.5 litres of water run out in a minute in the middle of a dry summer. Conservation and restoration of this monument were done on two occasions, in 1973 and 1996/97 at the expense of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments in Kraljevo. According to its cultural-historical, architectural, ambient and hydrological values, the Great drinking-fountain in Bela Voda is a rare and representative monument of its kind in Serbia.


Jastrebac
Jastrebac is the highest mountain in the vicinity of Kruševac, which can be reached through the villages of Golovode, Lomnica and Buci. Jastrebac represents a special touristic potential. A spacious plateau with an artificial lake lies at about 650 m above sea level, whereas it is 20 km far from Kruševac. Jastrebac is a very old mountain which existed as early as in Tertiary and rose from the tertiary sea as a large island. The highest peaks "Đulica", 1491 m and "Pogled (View) ", 1481 m, represent a natural border between the rivers of Toplica and Morava. Jastrebac also has exceptional climate conditions (insulation all year round, fresh air currents and uncontaminated environment). Thanks to the very mild climate and diverse flora and fauna, it provides exceptional possibilities for relaxation and hiking. Landscapes of Jastrebac are attractive to all nature lovers –hikers, scouts, mountain bikers and others. Jastrebac is the most forested mountain in this part of the Balkans. It is characterized by abundant deciduous and coniferous trees and unique biotope of the white birch. The mountain likewise offers useful forest fruits, especially mushrooms and medicinal plants, which makes it a paradise for mushroom and medicinal plant pickers.


Archaeological complex "The town of Lazar"
Archaeological complex "The town of Lazar" represents the remains of medieval fortress built by Prince Lazar in 1371 both as the capital of medieval Serbia and medieval fortress. In the scope of "The town of Lazar" there are the church of Lazarica, the National museum Kruševac, the Monument to Prince Lazar, Donžon tower and the remains of Prince’s court.


Church of Lazarica
Church of Lazarica is rightfully deemed the pearl of Moravian architecture. It was built in 1375 or 1376 to celebrate the firstborn son of Prince Lazar, who was also the successor to the throne, despot Stefan. It is dedicated to Archdeacon Stefan, the protector of Nemanjić dynasty. The basis of the church is of trikonhos (trefoil) shape, which is a compressed variety of the cross, with three bays along its length, a dome over the central area together with the narthex built at the same time, initially with open side passages. Apses on the inside are semicircular, whereas they are five-sided on the outside, with colonettes pressed against on the junctions of the sides. The application of trefoil plan in Moravian architecture is the consequence of the impact of the Mount Athos monasticism on the construction of Serbia during Lazar’s regency. The construction of that period significantly relied on the Mount Athos both in churh-political and cultural sense. The upper structure is borne by slanted arches lying on pilasters. The vaults are barrel, sometimes in the shape of the cross; the dome is on the pendentives circular on the inside, octagonal on the outside and formed on an extraordinarily pronounced and topped cubic pedestal. Over a part of the narthex there is a characteristic annex which consists of a chapel in the lower part. The chapel reaches immediate visual communication with the church through catechumens - a space located in the depth of the wall between the narthex and nave, while the room above served as a steeple. The manner of building, by alternating horizontal rows of stone ashlars made from Bela Voda sandstone with three rows of bricks joined by wide mortar junctures which fall out from the wall plane, is Byzantine in its basis. In the elevation system there is an expressed tendency towards the development of the vertical and grading the masses according to the final accent – the main dome, wherein the external shapes correspond to the inner part of the structure. The peculiarity of the Lazarica architecture is represented by a compactness of the structure of the basic mass, regular rhythm and uniformity of the whole composition towards its parts and the achieved balance of the dome in relation to the overall architectural structure of the building both in the spatial and artistic sense. Lazarica has an accomplished and fully completed system of facade decorations that are profuse in ceramic ornaments and characteristic Moravian bas-relief stone plastics, which, by the achieved carving precision and uniformity of stylistic expression, represents a significant improvement when compared to plastic ornaments of early Moravian endowments. The time when Lazarica was painted belongs to the period of a short-termed Austrian predominance in Kruševac (1737 - 1739) when fresco painters led by Andrej Andrejević from the town of Vršac painted frescoes in the spirit of Baroque understanding of traditional Serbian painting. At the same time, the most necessary repairs on an otherwise ruined church were made, since it was completely deserted in the period from under Turkish reign. During the restoration of Lazarica after the liberation from the Turks, the church was painted anew in 1843. The author of this fresco painting, a painter from the town of Požarevac Živko Pavlović, also did the iconostasis of the church during 1844, before the visit of Prince Alexander Karađorđević to Kruševac. According to the preserved descriptions, purchasers of individual icons were mostly members of Kruševac dyer and trade-tailor guilds. One of the earliest in the series of iconostasis created by the end of the 19th century in Kruševac and the surrounding area is characterized by archaism of iconographic repertoire accompanied by appropriate stylistic features. From 1904 to 1908 there were extensive works on restoration and conservation of the church. Its original appearance was mostly restored, undermined by architectural interventions on several occasions during the 18th and the 19th century, thanks to an architect of the Ministry of construction, Petar J. Popović, whose work represents a pioneer endeavour of its kind in Serbia. During 1908, designed by P. Popović, a church house and a steeple were built and much later, in 1938, a monumental fence was built in the churchyard (later moved to Kruševac cemetery) with the gate mounted south-west from the church. The new parish house was built where there was an old church house in the period from 1997 to 2000, when it was also consecrated. At the time when Karađorđe presented the church with a bell in1812 (which is preserved to this day), Lazarica had already been dedicated to the Birth of the Most Holy Virgin. The same holiday has been celebrated to this day.
As an outstanding achievement of Serbian medieval architecture and national architectural heritage, the church of Lazarica was declared a cultural monument of great importance.


Donžon tower
Main town tower ("Donžon"), is today preserved in the height of about 18 m (the building was over 20 m high). It was built with pebbles and crushed stone, with sandstone ashlars as reinforcement in the corners. On the basis of the visible bearings of mezzanine constructions on the east side where there was the main entrance, it can be concluded that there were four floors in addition to the ground floor. The outer shape of the line of the main tower and the walls which spring up from it in the direction of north and east is accompanied by a defensive dry trench 4.5 m deep and maximum 9 m wide, with uncultivated bottom and the sides reinforced by retaining walls. This building had a defensive role, especially as the last resistance to the enemy that had already penetrated the walls of the town.


National museum Kruševac
In the space of a former Grammar school, an old building from 1863, a museum setting found its place witnessing the historical and cultural development and transformation of Kruševac area, from prehistory, over the ancient times, through the period of Ottoman occupation and reconstruction of Serbian sovereignty until the first decades of the twentieth century. Prehistoric findings, enviable collection of medieval weapons and pottery, replication of Prince Lazar’s garments, a legacy of the Binički family and a model of Meštrović’s Saint Vitus temple are just some of the exhibits from the museum's permanent exhibition which by its cultural and historical significance deserve the attention of the visitors of the Museum.


Monument to Prince Lazar
The monument to the founder of Kruševac, Prince Lazar, is situated in the eastern part of Archaeological Park "The town of Lazar". It was uncovered on the 27th June 1971, on the occasion of the celebration of "Six centuries of Kruševac". Author Nebojša Mitrić, a sculptor from Belgrade, when designing the sculpture of Prince Lazar, was inspired by the usual position of Serbian medieval rulers seen on coins: sitting with a sword in their hands. The image of prince Lazar was done according to the founder’s fresco in the monastery of Ravanica. Architectural features of Prince Lazar are presented by the contours of the medieval town on the left shoulder of the figure, as well as by the outlines of Lazarica under the armpit of the right arm which are easily noticed. Ornaments on the dress are taken from Lazar’s dress the replica of which is kept in the National museum Kruševac.


Bagdala hill
When somebody says "The town under Bagdala hill", it is obvious they are referring to Kruševac. Little is it known to those who are not from Kruševac that this sylvan hill got its name after what it really offers – "bagdala" is a loosely translated Turkish word which means divine view. To this day, Bagdala has represented a place for walking, relaxation and recreation.

Tourist Organization of the City of Krusevac

MANIFESTATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT
 
Explore Krusevac

KRUSEVAC AND SURROUNDING AREA

WHY ARE PEOPLE OF KRUSEVAC KNOWN AS “CARAPANI”
(carapan-the one who walks in socks)?
Legend about the nickname of Krusevac people – “Carapani” talks about a historical event of January 25, 1806 (by the Julian calendar). During the First Serbian Uprising, n final battles for Krusevac liberation, a battery led by Mladen Milovanovic, after the defeat of Turks positioned in trenches, managed to enter the city during the night, and wearing only socks silently overpower the Turkish crew in the fortress itself.

WHAT TO SEE IN KRUSEVAC AND SURROUNDING AREA

Contact

Tourist Organization of the City of Krusevac

Majke Jugovica 3, 37000 Krusevac

+381 37 445 180

turizamkrusevac@mts.rs

Working hours:

Monday-Friday: 08:00-16:00

Contact TIC

Tourist Information Centre

Trg Kosovskih junaka br.6

+381 37 44 11 33

turizamkrusevac1@mts.rs

Working hours:

Monday-Friday: 08:00-20:00

Saturday: 09:00-15:00